ALTAMAHAW, N.C. – Ryan Litt did what he could in Must See Racing Sprint Car Series qualifying on Saturday afternoon at Ace Speedway, but it wasn’t enough to keep Jimmy McCune from winning the war.
Litt powered to the fastest time of the weekend at the four-tenths-mile oval, a blistering clip of 13.430 seconds (107.223 mph) with his No. 07 Xtreme Metal Worx/BS&B Radiator entry, earning 10 points toward his season total in a last-ditch effort to dethrone McCune.
However, McCune effectively clinched the title by timing in second to Litt, a lap of 13.689 seconds (105.194 mph) marking his best in the No. 88 Abe’s Auto Parts/Rev-X Oil mount.
The nine points McCune earned for his run give him a virtually-unassailable 31-point lead over Litt entering the season-closing 40-lap feature on Saturday afternoon.
Barring a mechanical failure that would prevent the Toledo, Ohio, veteran from starting the main event, once McCune takes the green flag, he’ll lock up his fifth straight series title.
Joe Liguori timed in third-quick, followed by Charlie Schultz and National Sprint Car Hall of Famer Jeff Bloom. Series qualifying kingpin Brian Gerster was sixth on the time sheets.
Johnny Petrozelle, Adam Biltz, Joe Speakman and Jerry Caryer completed the top 10.
Racing at Ace Speedway kicks off at 2 p.m. ET, co-headlined by the 140-lap Rodney Cook Classic for late model stock cars and the title tilt for the Must See Racing sprint cars.
QUALIFYING RESULTS: Must See Racing Sprint Car Series; Ace Speedway; Oct. 19, 2019
- #07 – Ryan Litt, 13.430 seconds
- #88 – Jimmy McCune, 13.689 seconds
- #13 – Joe Liguori, 13.758 seconds
- #9s – Charlie Schultz, 13.759 seconds
- #26 – Jeff Bloom, 13.850 seconds
- #50m – Brian Gerster, 13.870 seconds
- #81 – Johnny Petrozelle III, 14.105 seconds
- #8a – Adam Biltz, 14.139 seconds
- #72s – Joe Speakman, 14.147 seconds
- #75c – Jerry Caryer, 14.296 seconds
- #51 – Joshua Sexton, 15.143 seconds
- #85 – Rick Holley, 15.201 seconds
- #4L – Anthony Linkenhoker, 15.371 seconds
- #15 – Tim Henthorne, 15.786 seconds
- #74 – Ivan Shaver, 15.882 seconds
- #32 – Todd McQuillen, 17.252 seconds